Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Reading Lesson- An Alliteration Picnic

Katey's bringing Kool-Aid.  Meagan's bringing marshmallows.  Jessica's bringing jelly beans.  :)  Can you think of a food that starts with e besides eggs?  Well, one of my little ladies thought of egg rolls!

In reading this week we are learning about alliteration.  We read the book The Z Was Zapped.  The kiddos tried to guess what the word was for each letter.  They were pretty good considering these were some tough words! 

Next, I spread out a blanket on our carpet and placed the basket in the middle.  I asked, "What is an activity you could do with these items? A picnic!  To come to my picnic you have be able to follow the rule and.. you have to guess what the rule is.  I held up my index card pre-made and said my card follows the rule.  I'll read it to you and see if that helps you guess what the rule is.  Here we go..."My name is Katey and I'm bringing Kool-Aid." 

Raise your hand if you think you have  something to bring to our picnic.  It took a few times of saying really nicely, "I'm sorry you can't come to the picnic just yet." before the wheels turning and answers started rolling in.  There were about 5 little sweeties who just didn't get it so I walked them through it and helped them brainstorm foods that started with the same letter as their name. 


On an index card the wrote their name, what they were bringing and draw a picture.  Once they read it to me they got to place it in the basket and relax on our picnic blanket with their shoes off. 

We sure had a great time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment