Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Math Centers



Here's how Math Centers work in my room.  I started using them last year and oh my word, it's totally changed my life.  I meet with my small groups while the kiddos are busy with their tubs.  It's one of those rare times you get to target instruction for you low babies.  I can't believe I ever taught without them.  Well, yes I do.  I just didn't do a great job at teaching back then.  I mean you can't teach reading without guided reading, so you can't teach math without guided math, right?


My amazing, beloved co-worker Katy found this chart system on Pinterest or somewhere.  You use numbers for math tubs and letters for literacy tubs.  Genuis!  I was making it waaaay too complicated.  I have to admit this poster is not up to my cuteness standards but it does the job.  Once October madness is over I hope to revamp it. 
 The kids' names are moved with the help of velcro and the little stickers are just there to help them find their group faster.  They are grouped with by levels of course.  (lows and meds, meds and highs)

Here is the math tubs shelf.  The numbers were made with my new bet friends...poster numbers/letters purchased at Wal-Mart on the arts and crafts isle.  Why didn't they have these when I was in school? Love them!



What's inside the buckets?  The activities rotate with subjects we are studying in math.  The idea is to supply activities that review/reinforce learning. 
Bucket 1: Number Words

I got this fun little activity from the one and only Cara Carroll of First Grade Parade.  It was in her math centers packet on Teachers Pay Teachers.  The students match the number to the number word and record both on the handout. 
 
_______________________________________________________

Bucket 2: Roll a Learner

Also, from Cara's Math Packet.  The kids roll a dice and add the corresponding item to their drawing.  Eventually the picture will reveal a learner.  :)

_______________________________________________________________

Bucket 3: Comparing Numbers

This is an activity we practiced last week in math.  The students compare 2 numbers of their choice in standard form, written form, and modeled on a tens frame. The students also compose a comparison sentence using the two numbers. 
 
_____________________________________________________________

Bucket 4: Estimation Jar

This handout is from Cara's Math Centers Packet.  The students first estimate how many objects are in the jar.  Then they count and record the actual number.  Last the students compare the estimate to the actual number.  I got the jar from Dollar Tree.  I pan on putting cute seasonal objects in it when it's time for a new number.  We started with cubes but October will have candy corn, December will have peppermints, and so on. 

_________________________________________________________________

Bucket 5: Calendar

Cara's Calendar Companion Packet has blank calendars in it.  My kiddos are using her amazing math binders.  They LOVE them.  I really promoted them to be really big kid stuff.  They are so funny with them.  One day when we were using them to do number of the day I said, "Man you guys are so smart!  Do you feel smart?  My sweet little guy helpd up his binder and said, "I feel powerful!"  Best moment of the school year to date.  I cried a little.   

So, in this center they complete the calendar for the month we are currently in and add it to their math binder. 
 
_____________________________________________________________

Bucket 6: Pattern Block Creation

Here's another handout from Cara.  The students use pattern blocks to create a design.  At the bottom the students record the number of each type of shape used.  The mats are laminated so that the students can use vis-a-vis markers and then wipe them off for the next group. 

 



Check out this sweet pupppy one of my kids made. :)


_________________________________________________________________

Bucket 7: Numbers Packet

I have no idea where this packet originated from or I would totally give them credit.  It's pages have the students working with numbers 1-20.  The students trace the number, write it, write it in words, and circle the number in a scramble. 



_________________________________________________________________

Bucket 8 (Last One): Pattern

Students use the laminated templates to make animals and other designs. 





So there they are in all their glory.  They are working out beautifully.   




No comments:

Post a Comment