Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, September 3, 2012

Behavior and Rewards

Ticket Rewards-
I'm sure you've heard of many teachers using tickets as rewards. It totally works for me. I put some in my pocket each morning and give them out with appropriate behavior or participation. Students put their name on the back and turn it into the basket on my desk. The beauty of the tickets is I can hold as many drawings in a day as I want. I don't ask the children to save them up and cash them in. Waaaaay too complicated for me. As soon as the ticket is pulled it is thrown away and the winner can choose a reward from the poster. I created most of the rewards and left some space at the bottom for student's ideas. Another little gem with these is you can totally rig the winners! It's like magic for you most struggling students to win with the first sign of good behavior. Talk about positive reinforcement. Last year my kids came up with the idea of putting a "Whole Class" ticket. If that's pulled everyone gets a ticket reward. You can also pull a ticket and wait to announce the winner when the lesson is over or supplies are put away. It's a great way to get kiddos down to the carpet quickly. I just can't say enough about ticket drawings!
We created our class rules together the first week of school. The kids brainstormed rules and I guided them into fitting our school's code of conduct.
 
 
Classroom Colors- We use a color system in the classroom.  Everyone starts on green.  If they are not following CHAMPS rules the drop to yellow.  If it continues the move to blue and parents are called.  If the problem still progresses students are on red and we involve the principal.  All of my other years of teaching we've used this system in tandem with a stick.  Each child has a clip with their name on it and we carry it around with us.  This year our Positive Behavior committee decided it is not appropriate for us to be broadcasting our student's colors to the school by carrying around a stick for all to see.  So the colors stayed but the stick is dead.  May he rest in peace.  Makes sense.  I agree with their thinking but I'm having some adjustment to not having the stick at all.  I'm going to give it a fair shot.  I do still use my CHAMPS sheet on my clip board but I'm worried about not having the visual for my little guys.  We'll see....it's gonna be fine. 
 
 
Now if the kiddos make it a week with greens and/or purples they receive a prize from the treasure box on Friday.  It's a big deal.  My little nephew Carter had a pirate birthday party last year and my sister ordered this pirate treasure chest from Oriental Trading Co. to use as a cooler.  I of course snagged it as soon as the last drink was gone.  A must for my classroom.  I was worried about it being inflatable and lasting more than a week but we're going on year 2...fingers crossed.  :)   
 
Items in the treasure box, hmmm I guess I should really be calling it a Treasure Chest!  lol  It started as a box I decorated just so ya know.  Anyway items can be anything from rings to silly bands, stickers to books.  I got soooo mad at my class last year when they complained, "There's only books left."  ooooooohhhhweee you did not want to be in the front row that day. 
 
I'm going to hope for lots of parent donations to keep the treasure chest stocked this year. I seem to have a rockin' group of parents so I think I'll be okay.  
 
The treasure chest is sitting here with our student computer.  See those labeled colorful solo cups?  They will soon be hanging on the pretty blue wall to be used as bucket fillers.  This was my first send home parent request.  I passed this amazing momma a bag of cups, post-its, tape, and a sharpie in morning assembly and she returned these beautiful "buckets" by dismissal.  Amazing!  Now if I can only remember to ask others for help this year.  One of my personal goals for 2012-2013
 
 
 
 Fuzzy Ball Jar- Use for compliments from other teachers.  Most originate in the hallways.  There are 2 sizes of fuzzy balls regular sized for teacher compliments and "big momma" fuzzy balls for principal compliments.  See how full it is with "big mommas?" We had a fire drill on Friday and our principal was so positive when we walked by.  Yay!  They are super close to filling up the jar to the first line: class treat.  This will get them something like a fancy sticker, pencil, eating lunch in the classroom etc.  The top line is class party.  Now I know we are not supposed to say "party"  but you know that really is just for the kids to get super excited.  They will vote for a popcorn, Popsicles, ice cream, bubble gum, etc. sssssshhh...party!
 
 
What do you use for your rewards?  What kind of behavior tricks do you have up your sleeves?  Please share or leave a comment on how you might alter mine.  I'm all ears :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment